For Immediate Release
ELSM Staff Writer: Katie Burger
CHAPEL HILL, NC (October 7, 2012) – With the goals of growing sport recognition and expanding spectatorship through social media, the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) is inviting any and all collegiate level wrestling programs to compete in the 2nd Annual Best of Brand Awards. Created in conjunction with Elite Level Sports Marketing (ELSM), these Awards entice programs to innovate and creatively market themselves via social media outlets, as well as recognize and reward successful programs for their well-deserved efforts.
In its inaugural year, over 100 programs from across the country participated in the competition in some way, whether focusing on making viral videos or building the strongest fan base. Dr. Coyte Cooper, CEO of ELSM, anticipates this coming year to be an even larger success. “It’s starting, we are making the right steps and there is a competitive fire from the coaching staffs to improve their efforts throughout the year. There will be more creative videos coming out of the programs than ever before.”
Dr. Cooper is not the only one excited about the direction in which the Awards are going. Mike Moyer, Executive Director of the NWCA, explained “The Best of Brand Awards are an opportunity to honor programs that are striving to build their brand the right way and our goal is to help grow their programs in any way that we can. The first year was a huge success and we look forward to making it even better this year.”
Of last year’s participants, programs who found success in various categories included the University of Maryland, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and the University of Minnesota. These schools are not only competitors to look out for in the future of the Awards, but also models of effective social media branding for programs interested in stepping up to the challenge.
In the 2012-13 season, the Best of Brand Awards will honor another collection of wrestling programs dedicated to increasing the visibility of their sport by embracing opportunities to market with the use of social media.
Programs can participate in any or all of the seven Awards categories (see descriptions below), but must submit their application by the two deadlines. To be eligible for the Annual Achievement Awards, programs must fill out an application form no later than November 1st, 2012 to be given full consideration. However, the video and graphic submissions in the Daily Doses of Excellence award categories will be accepted until April 15th, 2013.
Daily Doses of Excellence Awards
The Daily Doses of Excellence Awards were created to honor the programs that are best utilizing technologies to build the brand of their programs. With an emphasis on brand branding via the Internet, the four awards categories were designed to identify teams with the best videos and graphics during the 2012-13 season.
1. The Highlight Reel: For programs who develop the best “wrestling related” highlight video to promote their team. This can include traditional highlight videos or behind the scene videos that showcase aspects of competition.
2. Pure Entertainment: For programs who create “non-wrestling related” videos to promote their team. This can include any video that adds entertainment value for the program’s followers. An emphasis will be placed on videos that are creative in nature – and build program brand in a unique manner.
3. Solid Service: For programs who create videos that highlight community service outreach during the season. This includes any video that demonstrates a program’s willingness to get involved in solid causes that give back.
4. Better Than Good Graphics: For programs who create a high quality graphic that builds the brand of the program. This includes any graphic that was used to engage followers throughout the year via the Internet and social media.
Annual Achievement Awards
The Annual Achievement Awards are designed to honor programs that best market their programs via social media throughout the year. There are three awards categories that exist to highlight the programs that consistently build their brand the right way during the 2012-13 season.
1. Top Newcomer: For programs who storm onto the social network site scene and build their program’s brand the right way. In essence, this award will be evaluated based on a program’s ability to establish a well-rounded approach with the effective combination of content, visual appeal, and interactivity on social network sites.
2. The Gold Standard: For the program who best embraces innovative marketing strategies in college wrestling. The criteria for this award will be similar to the “Top Newcomer” category. However, this category is for established programs that are further along with their marketing efforts. In addition to the quality of content and messaging, the number of followers and the interaction with followers will be taken into consideration.
3. The Masterful Mission: For the programs that best brand their mission via social network sites. The NWCA will award programs with well-rounded values that embrace the university mission.
The finalists will be announced in early July and the winners crowned at the 2013 NWCA Annual Convention.
If your program is interested in taking on the Best of Brand challenge, please fill out the application form online using the link below. For any other questions, contact Dr. Coyte Cooper at email@example.com.
Link to Application Form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDl3Q2VoM3JIcFNuMWZnTEFZeGNTT1E6MQ#gid=0
About the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA): The National Wrestling Coaches Association, established in 1928, is a non-profit organization for the advancement of all levels of the sport of wrestling with primary emphasis on developing coaches who work in academic environments. The membership embraces all people interested in amateur wrestling. The three core competencies of the NWCA are: coaching development, student-athlete welfare, and promotion of wrestling.
About Elite Level Sports Marketing (ELSM):
Elite Level Sports Marketing is a recently established firm which specializes in the development and implementation of innovative marketing plans for sport organizations, businesses, and programs. Functioning around five core values: innovation, integrity, connection, adding value, and making a difference, ELSM provides coaches, marketing professionals, and fans with marketing resources to help grow sport organizations.